sábado, 21 de febrero de 2009

Back in the Swing

Thanks for checking back in! I realize it's been months since I've updated this site-- most of that due to the fact that I, personally, had a very long winter break spent back in the States and have been ill off and on every since I got back!
I am glad to report that things are still going really well with us at the Escuela d'Arte. We have a few new students this year, which is always fun, as well as many returning students. One student in particular I want to share about.
Gary started coming to our school about a year and a half ago. He is an 18 yr. old from Haiti who came over to the DR to study Masters in Construction. I have asked him several times what this exactly means, but I am still unclear. He is learning construction and all the elements involved, but not actually DOING construction. I don't know. Anyhow, he is living with an ex-patriot English woman who is sponsoring him. She has sent many students to our school over the years and is one of our most avid local supporters.
When Gary first started coming, he could barely draw a straight line. For months Francisco and I literally thought he had vision problems because he just couldn't draw for the life of him. Yet, he persisted. Just yesterday he finished his first every Acrylic painting and I almost cried. I have learned much from this young man, who, through every kind of adversity thrown at him (growing up in the poorest nation in the world, being the only Christian in his entire VooDoo family, immigrating to a nation that is extremely racist against Haitians...) persists and endures. He speaks four languages. He openly worships Christ through constant singing. And he is becoming a great artist.
Often times when I think about giving up, I think of Gary. He is always the first student to show up in the afternoons and the last one to leave-- and always reluctantly. He comes every single day, often asking for suggestions on how he could do better and always thanking us with a sincere heart for teaching him. This is the kind of heart I wish to have before God and others: humble, thankful, perseverant and joyful.
I wish I had photos of some of Gary's first drawings (hmmm, I should ask him to bring some!) to post today, but here are a couple of him (one of him learning from Francisco and the other of him standing with the beginnings of his first painting):


No hay comentarios: